Our Ultrasound Training courses include minimal classroom instruction and lots of live on-farm demonstrations with guided hands-on. Designed for veterinarians and producers. Our 2-Day Dairy Cattle Ultrasound courses provide approximately 4 hours of classroom instruction/theory and 8 hours of live on-farm demonstration with guided hands-on applications and practice.
Courses are overseen and facilitated by Dr. Tom Wheal, DVM, an experienced and welcoming facilitator who makes the learning environment friendly, relaxed, and professional. Having over 45 years of experience as a bovine reproduction specialist, Tom brings an incredible wealth of knowledge based on real-world experience to the course.
This 2-Day Dairy Cattle Ultrasound course is designed to teach the skills and techniques of bovine reproductive ultrasound and image interpretation for dairy cattle reproduction. Courses include all of your training materials, ultrasound machines, hot lunches for both days, comprehensive content covering all relevant content and lots of discussion.
We promise a welcoming and friendly environment and ensure plenty of hands-on practice. We aim for you to learn a lot and truly enjoy the experience! Be prepared to leave with tired arms and ready to start herd pregnancy checks with skill and confidence.
DAIRY CATTLE REPRODUCTIVE ULTRASOUND TRAINING COURSE OUTLINE
- Ultrasound technology – what is it, how does it work, and what do the images mean (physics and interpretation).
- Review of reproductive system anatomy and physiology.
- Open uterus, uterine horns, and identifying uterine infections.
- Pregnancy at various stages of gestation.
- Identifying twins and fetal demise.
- Ovarian structure (follicles, cysts, corpus luteum).
- Lots of hands on practice, guided demonstrations and review of ultrasound images and videos.
Training includes all of your training materials, ultrasound machines, hot lunches for both days, comprehensive content covering all relevant content, discussion and a friendly, relaxed learning environment.
Please note that a course pre-requisite for the dairy course is either experience breeding cows, doing manual palpations, or an AI Course previously. If you can manually find a cervix successfully, you’re ready!